Thursday 7 June 2012

Has being a beer geek ruined my enjoyment of the pub?

In the words of the band James- 'If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.' This is sometimes how I feel in relation to beer. Previous to my conversion into a full blown beer geek I was happy to go to almost any pub, drink almost anything and enjoy the company of my friends without much worry. Now I constantly judge the pub on what they have on tap, in the fridge, what people around me are drinking. I fear I fail to take into account the atmosphere and ambience of the pub so caught up am I in what is to be imbibed.

Tomorrow I plan to meet an old friend from University who I haven't seen in a while. We want to go and watch the first couple of games of the European Championship somewhere around King's Cross. In order to make it enjoyable for me I've managed to slip a visit to BrewDog Camden in first. Partly for some good quality, good value food but also to get that good beer fix before moving onto, in all probabilities, bad lagers. Even having arranged this the worry is now that the lager will taste even worse than normal having to follow awesome beer.

Is it the pubs who need to catch up or me who needs to readjust expectations and confine beer geekery to places where it is appropriate?

NB: If anyone knows of a pub around King's Cross which shows football and has good beer, PLEASE TELL ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment